James V. Block
Krautkramer & Block LLC
J. David Krekeler
Rebecca J. Quiroz
Chapter 13 Trustee
Nicole I. Pellerin
Murphy Desmond S.C.
9:00 a.m. : Pre-Bankruptcy Planning
- What it is and why it should be done
- Pitfalls and penalties
9:50 a.m. : Marriage, Divorce, & Bankruptcy
- Community property and the bankruptcy estate
- Community property and the bankruptcy discharge
- Bankruptcy strategies for married couples
- Bankruptcy strategies for divorcing couples
10:30 a.m. : Break
10:45 a.m. : Serial Filings and Converting Between Cases
- Effect of serial filing and converting between cases
- Serial filing and the marital discharge
- Serial filing strategies
Proof of Claim
- Types of claims
- When to file a claim
- How to complete the claim form
11:15 a.m. : Contested Matters, Objections to Proofs of Claim, and Adversary Proceedings, Oh My!
- What are they?
- How do you bring them?
- How do you respond to them?
- Proper service and why it’s important
- Steps to getting a default judgment
11:35 a.m. : Prosecuting and Defending Relief from Stay Motions
11:55 a.m. : Chapter 13 – Defending Motions to Dismiss
12:15 p.m. : Lunch (on your own)
1:15 p.m. : Chapter 13 – Lien Avoidance & Objections to Claims and Plans
1:35 p.m. : Discharge and Dischargeability in Depth
- Comparing Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 exceptions to discharge
- Dealing with the most common issues
- Prosecuting a discharge or dischargeability case
2:00 p.m. : Advanced Means Test & Totality of Circumstances
- Beyond the “basic” means test
- Totality: the “other hammer”
- The asset Chapter 7
2:50 p.m. : Break
3:05 p.m. : Preferences, Fraudulent Transfers
- What is a bankruptcy preference?
- Affirmative defenses to a preference claim
- Fraudulent transfers and the bankruptcy estate
3:35 p.m. : Potpourri!
- Attorney Fees and Getting Paid
- A Bit About Chapter 11 and Chapter 12
- Student Loans
- 15 Cases You Need to Know About
- After-Acquired Assets
- Death of the Debtor
- Sale/Purchase During Plan
4:30 p.m. : Program Concludes
Following program start times, webcast replay schedule will vary slightly from above listed times.
- Learn how preplanning for bankruptcy can help your clients
- Understand how to handle community property in a bankruptcy case
- Go in-depth on discharge and dischargeability
- Learn the advanced means test
- Get debt-relief strategies
- Attorneys with some experience in bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy lawyers seeking a refresher
- Creditor/debtor attorneys
- Attorneys who attended The Basics of Filing Chapter 7 & Chapter 13
Young Lawyers Division members receive a $20 discount on tuition.* Discount applied automatically upon log-in.
*Young Lawyers Division Members are State Bar member attorneys 36 years of age or younger, or within five years of admission to the State Bar of Wisconsin. If you’ve opted out of YLD, you will not receive this discount. The $20 discount only applies to in-person, live webcast, and webcast replay versions of this seminar – not CLE OnDemand.. YLD members with Ultimate Passes, other CLE passes, or PINNACLE discounts are not eligible for this discount.
Wisconsin Attorney’s Desk Reference
Seminar attendees will enjoy a free two-week trial of the Wisconsin Attorney’s Desk Reference Books UnBound® title and an invitation to save 20% on either a 1-year subscription to the Books UnBound title or the purchase of the print book.* Perfect as a primer or a refresher, the Desk Reference is a convenient guide for any attorney who needs a quick answer to a question or an introduction to an area of law.
*Attendees will receive information to access the free trial and discount via email after attending the program. Discount applies to both print and digital Books UnBound® editions of this title and cannot be applied to previous purchases. Offer valid as long as CLE credit is available for this program. For Books UnBound users, discount may be applied to purchase of individual Books UnBound title only and may not be used on purchase of full library.
TIf you’re just getting started in this practice area, we recommend that you also attend The Basics of Filing Chapter 7 & Chapter 13, which covers the differences between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 and takes you step by step through the process of filing for each.
The Build Your Practice Series from State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE® introduces you to the fundamentals of various practice areas. Gain the tools and information you need to develop a new area of practice and expand your firm's offerings. Build Your Practice Series programs are endorsed by the State Bar's Young Lawyers Division.