Endorsed by the Young Lawyers Division and the Criminal Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin.
Fill your glass with OWI insight
Despite the dangers, many Wisconsinites get behind the wheel after a few too many. Nearly 29,000 people were arrested for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) in Wisconsin in 2015 alone.1
Thinking about adding OWI defense to your practice? Already practicing but want an updated review of tactics? Handling OWI Cases in Wisconsin focuses on the foundational processes of OWI defense and shares strategies for success from experienced practitioners.
Receive a comprehensive overview of an OWI case's key components, including:
- OWI penalties and recent penalty changes
- Breath and blood tests
- Pretrial motions
- Administrative suspensions
- Special issues with Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs)
From a police officer's first suspicion all the way through the arrest, explore the many instances where an OWI charge can be challenged, including:
- Reasonable suspicion to stop a vehicle based on:
- Suspected impaired driving
- Specific traffic violation
- Community caretaker doctrine
- Reasonable suspicion for OWI investigation
- Probable cause to arrest
Understand your options regarding implied consent and motions to suppress. Plus, hear perspectives from defense attorneys and a judge on what you need to know going into your next OWI case.
Attend Handling OWI Cases in Wisconsin and walk away with up-to-date tools, tips, and techniques for approaching OWI cases with confidence.