James V. Block
Krautkramer & Block LLC
J. David Krekeler
Rebecca J. Quiroz
Chapter 13 Trustee
Nicole I. Pellerin
Murphy Desmond S.C.
9:00 a.m. : Setting the Stage
- The creditor toolbox
- Non-bankruptcy debt-relief options
9:50 a.m. : Getting Started: The Initial Consultation and Gathering of Information
- Attorneys as debt-relief agencies
- What to cover at the initial consultation
- 527 notices
- The fee agreement
10:40 a.m. : Break
10:55 a.m. : Preparing Bankruptcy Schedules
- Practical session that will review what is needed on the bankruptcy schedules
12:00 p.m. : Lunch (on your own)
1:15 p.m. : Means Test
- What income to report and how
- What deductions to take
- What the United States Trustee won’t tell you
2:10 p.m. : Chapter 13 Plans
- Doing the math – figuring income and allowed expenses on the means test
- Using checklists
- It is YOUR Chapter 13 plan – tell the trustee and the creditors who you are paying and how much they will receive
- Calculating feasibility – make sure the math works within the plan
3:00 p.m. : Break
3:15 p.m. : Discharge Issues and Fraudulent Transfers
4:05 p.m. : Cases to Know
4:35 p.m. : Program Concludes
Following program start times, webcast replay schedule will vary slightly from above listed times.
- Learn the fundamentals of Chapter 7 and 13
- Know exactly which documents to file
- Understand the “means” test
- Receive an introduction to discharge and dischargeability
- Attorneys seeking to add bankruptcy to their practice
- Bankruptcy lawyers seeking a refresher
- Creditor/debtor attorneys
Young Lawyers Division members receive a $20 discount on tuition.* Discount applied automatically upon log-in.
*Young Lawyers Division Members are State Bar member attorneys 36 years of age or younger, or within five years of admission to the State Bar of Wisconsin. If you’ve opted out of YLD, you will not receive this discount. The $20 discount only applies to in-person, live webcast, and webcast replay versions of this seminar – not CLE OnDemand.. YLD members with Ultimate Passes, other CLE passes, or PINNACLE discounts are not eligible for this discount.
Collections & Bankruptcy in Wisconsin
Seminar attendees will enjoy a free two-week trial of the Collections & Bankruptcy in Wisconsin Books UnBound® title and an invitation to save 20% on either a 1-year subscription to the Books UnBound title or the purchase of the print book.* Whether you’re looking for information on collection remedies, negotiating agreements with creditors, or resolving a bankruptcy proceeding, Collections & Bankruptcy in Wisconsin is the perfect starting point.
*Attendees will receive information to access the free trial and discount via email after attending the program. Discount applies to both print and digital Books UnBound® editions of this title and cannot be applied to previous purchases. Offer valid as long as CLE credit is available for this program. For Books UnBound users, discount may be applied to purchase of individual Books UnBound title only and may not be used on purchase of full library.
The Basics has value for attorneys of any experience level, but if you’re seeking a more advanced bankruptcy seminar, you’ll want to attend Beyond the Basics of Chapter 7 & Chapter 13. It goes into more depth on the interplay between divorce and debt relief and tackles common issues that arise in Chapter 13 cases, including relief from stay requests, motions to dismiss, and lien avoidance.
The Build Your Practice Series from State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE® introduces you to the fundamentals of various practice areas. Gain the tools and information you need to develop a new area of practice and expand your firm's offerings. Build Your Practice Series programs are endorsed by the State Bar's Young Lawyers Division.