Probate: Answering Your Legal Questions
Discontinued Product Liquidation Sale – Save 40%
We’re discontinuing all Consumer Pamphlet Series titles. While supplies last, save 40% on all remaining consumer pamphlets print stock by using discount code PAMPHLET40 at checkout.*
*This discount applies ONLY to in-stock print editions of consumer pamphlets. It cannot be applied to electronic licenses, handbooks, or life planning guides. The discount also cannot be applied to previous purchases or combined with other offers.
Probate is a court-supervised procedure for transferring ownership of someone's assets after he or she dies. The goal is to protect the rights of heirs or other beneficiaries and others who have an interest in an estate. This brochure presents basic information about what probate does and how it works – and when it is unnecessary.
The information covered:
- What is probate?
- Who oversees the probate process?
- What's the difference between formal and informal administration?
- Should I hire an attorney to handle probate?
- Which assets can bypass probate?
- How much does probate cost?
- What taxes does probate involve?
- How long does probate take?
- Can I avoid probate?
Last updated: 1/2013