902+ pp.; 6th ed. 2014-2015
(Includes 2018-19 supplement)
Learn the nuts and bolts of more effective criminal defense
Whether you need advice on organizing your files, negotiating a plea bargain, or filing motions before trial, make the Wisconsin Criminal Defense Manual your guide. Whatever your level of experience, the Manual can help you advance your practice and obtain the best possible outcomes for your clients.
Find the right information — fast!
You’ll save time when searching for the right form, statute, or specific case by taking advantage of the Manual’s logical format. And when you integrate the Master Information List and Initial Interview Guide into your practice, the Manual will become one of your main criminal defense resources.
The Manual is designed to make you more efficient by giving you:
- Extensive overviews of the law
- Checklists for completing vital procedures accurately and completely
- Commentary and instructions for filing necessary forms
- A chapter on handling public defender cases
All the necessary forms
Both the print and Books UnBound versions include a complete set of fillable, unannotated forms via download..
Newly updated to keep you current
The 2018-2019 supplement discusses a number of important legal developments, including:
- A U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding consequences of the government’s failure to honor a plea agreement
- A Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling on if a defendant can seek expungement after a sentence is imposed
- New e-filing rules governing service of court records and transcripts postconviction
- Proper analysis when a court fails to advise a defendant of potential immigration consequences of a plea
Summary of contents
- Criminal Procedure Outline and Checklists
- Organizing the File
- Conducting the Initial Interview
- Analyzing the Case
- Bringing Pretrial Motions
- Negotiating a Plea
- Preparing for Trial
- Preparing for Sentencing
- Postconviction Proceedings
- Handling Public Defender Cases
- Wisconsin Administrative Code, State Public Defender Rules
- Truth in Sentencing II — Penalty Chart
- Pre-Sentence Investigation Recommendation Guidance to Agents of the Division of Community Corrections