784+ pp.; 2016
(Includes 2017-2018 supplement)
Address the basics of every transaction
One of the fundamentals of doing business involves legally effective transactions. And whether it's contract law, commercial paper, or use of the Internet, you’ll find that Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin pulls together the in-depth information you need to answer your clients’ transaction questions.
Have the right tools at your fingertips
You’ll find it useful to have the Wisconsin legal perspective on domestic and international transactions, and you’ll come to rely on the essential tools in this comprehensive volume, tools that are the basis of practicing business law in this state. Real-world scenarios provide possible solutions to the challenges your business clients face, and can help you discover potential problems before they occur.
Newly revised to keep you current
The 2017-2018 supplement reflects key legal developments since publication of the 2015-2016 revision, including:
Recent activities of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, such as:
A Wisconsin Court of Appeals opinion analyzing a restrictive covenant in an employment contract
A new section on arbitration in chapter 1
U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Wisconsin discussion on:
- A ruling on the enforceability of an exculpatory contract
- A decision regarding enforceability of a pre-litigation jury waiver contract provision
- Contract law requirement of parties reaching an agreement
- Promissory estoppel
- Offer and acceptance
- “Battle of the forms”
Be prepared to handle the full range of transactions
Whatever type of business transactions your clients ask your advice on, you’ll find the guidance you need in Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin
- Refresh your understanding of contracts in business.
- Advise clients on their customers’ consumer rights and responsibilities, and lawful procedures in collection issues.
- Review the breadth of the concept of “transactions in goods,” and when the Uniform Commercial Code applies.
- Explore the ins and outs of the applicable law in recovery on a bad check.
- Understand letters of credit to help you advise clients on when and how to use these instruments
- Be ready with answers to questions about bulk transfers under UCC Article 6, which is still operative in Wisconsin.
- Be ready with advice on storage and shipment of goods and documents of title under UCC Article 7.
- Have the knowledge at hand to render opinions on personal property leases for equipment, goods, and other tangible property.
- Help your clients go after collateral pledged in secured transactions, and advise them of their own obligations.
- Get up to speed on Internet law, which is especially relevant as more business transactions move into cyberspace.
- Examine six scenarios of Wisconsin firms doing business outside the United States so you’re able to give sound advice in this area.
Get to the core of business law with Commercial and Consumer Transactions. You’ll find it filled with real-world business advice and scenarios.
Organized to save you time
You’ll find that Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin is packed with relevant case law, time-saving practice tips, checklists, cautions, caveats, sample language, and practice guides. Citation is easy with a table of cases, a table of statutes, regulations, and rules, plus a complete index. You’ll also appreciate the standard system of internal section numbering for easy cross-reference.