4th ed. 2012
(Includes 2016-17 supplement)
Be ready to serve as a guardian ad litem with this guide
Whether you're looking for guidance on just the basics of being a guardian ad litem, or you need detailed help with the most complex issues, you'll find it in The Guardian ad Litem Handbook.
This comprehensive guide:
- Explains the challenges of being a GAL for children, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities
- Examines the variety of roles a GAL may be required to perform
- Explores the different situations a GAL may be called upon to deal with
- Includes detailed directions for the GAL in various types of proceedings
Speak with authority
You'll find invaluable contributions of both attorney and non-attorney authors, who share their extensive expertise. You'll discover essential and practical information not just for handling the legal issues that may arise from being a GAL, but also for understanding the human side of a case. You'll also be able to follow insightful discussions about the typical characteristics of children, elderly persons, and disabled adults, as well as helpful techniques for GALs to use in interviewing clients.
- The Guardian ad Litem: An Overview
- Children: The Human Side
- Family Court: Chapter 767
- Juvenile Court: Chapter 48
- Adults with Mental Disabilities: The Human Side
- Guardianship: Chapter 54
- Protective Services and Protective Placement: Chapter 55
- State Mental Health Act: Chapter 51
- Probate Court
- Personal Injury
Updates keep you current
The 2016-17 supplement includes updates regarding recent legislative developments, administrative decisions, and court rulings, such as:
- E-filing requirements adopted by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Updated author-drafted forms and references to mandatory court forms
- A new appendix containing information on domestic abuse from the GAL guidebook published by the Governor’s Council on Domestic Abuse and End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin
- Amended provisions of the Children’s Code affecting procedures for changing the placement of a child involved in a children’s court proceeding
- Plans to extend Family Care statewide by 2018
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals opinions involving actions against GALs
Always have the right forms
With your online subscription, you will receive a complete set of downloadable forms.
Be better prepared to represent your clients' best interests
You'll find exactly the information you need when you turn to The Guardian ad Litem Handbook, Wisconsin's most comprehensive guide to being a guardian ad litem.