At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
Location: WI Appleton Sales Office, WI Green Bay Sales Office
Job ID: R3563 Trial Staff Attorney or Trial Senior Staff Attorney (Open)
This position personally handles the most complex litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums, whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation, arbitration, workers' compensation, and administrative proceedings, and any necessary appellate work. Provides legal advice to assist the timely disposition of claims in a fair and equitable manner consistent with relevant statutes and within the guidelines of the company. Assists supervising attorneys on advising and counseling other Company departments as requested.
*Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
*Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
*Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
*Relocation assistance is available
*Based on experience, this position could be filled at the trial staff attorney or senior trial staff attorney level
*Candidates should have a minimum of five years of demonstrated active trial and insurance defense experience.
*This a remote (work from home) position located in the Appleton/Green Bay area.
*Candidates must be Wisconsin licensed
Inside Litigation (90%)
• Personally handles litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Handles files and issues of a most complex nature with the highest levels of dollar exposure and requiring minimal oversight. Communicates with client regarding file status and progress.
• Analyzes file as litigation progresses. Evaluates cases and seeks settlement authority as necessary.
• Conducts discovery (e.g. written interrogatories, requests for production of documents, and depositions).
• Conducts motion practice.
• Drafts all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs to advance litigation activities at the trial or appellate level. Conducts necessary research in support of drafting activities.
• Advocates client position in all forums (state and federal court, alternative dispute resolution, administrative tribunals and regulatory hearings) and circumstances, both formal and informal. Negotiates effectively in the resolution of claims and other issues.
Consultation / Advice / Education (5%)
• Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of the various policy provisions. May have or develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property, workers` compensation, environmental law, commercial coverage).
• Participates in divisional or corporate projects as assigned.
• Shares knowledge with supervisory staff as appropriate.
• Develops and delivers presentations for other departments to inform personnel on how the law affects their particular job responsibilities.
• Performs assignments for other divisions and departments.
• Acts as a mentor to less experienced attorneys.
Information Management (5%)
• Uses case management system and related software effectively.
• Creates and maintains files in the case management system.
• Adjusts reserves to reflect company exposure based upon file information available at that time.
• Follows and complies with business processes and procedures.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
• Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
• Demonstrated experience making decisions independently gained through a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise acquired through litigation activities and trial experience.
• Extensive experience preparing civil pleadings, motions and discovery and deposing witnesses.
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and insurance law.
• Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
• This position requires travel up to 50% of the time. Physical Demands
• This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
• This position requires the ability to talk between 33 and 66% of the time.
• Admission to the State Bar in state where they are located or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within a year of hiring.
• Juris Doctor.