Marital Property: Answering Your Legal Questions
A sound marriage is a partnership of equals. That idea is the basis for Wisconsin's Marital Property Act. The law presents benefits and pitfalls. This brochure examines both. Below you'll find answers to several commonly asked questions about the Marital Property Act.
The information covered:
- Why was the Marital Property Act passed?
- What is marital property?
- Can I still have property that's my own?
- Can individual property unintentionally become marital property?
- What are the credit implications of this law?
- How does this law affect my will?
- What if I have no will?
- How does the law affect life insurance and retirement benefits?
- Can I give away marital property?
- What if my spouse and I disagree about marital property?
- How does the law affect divorce?
- Should we consider a marital property agreement?
Last updated: 8/2012