Divorce: Answering Your Legal Questions
Everyone hopes to never have to endure a divorce, one of life's most traumatic experiences. But some marriages deteriorate beyond repair. If you're facing a divorce, you need to know what lies ahead in the legal process. This consumer pamphlet explains the grounds for divorce in Wisconsin, the differences between a divorce and legal separation, how to start a divorce action, custody and physical placement of children, child support, maintenance, property division, and other issues related to the divorce process.
The information covered:
- What are the grounds for divorce in Wisconsin?
- What is the difference between a divorce and a legal separation?
- What is an annulment?
- How long must I live in Wisconsin before filing for divorce?
- How does either spouse start a divorce action?
- Can I get divorced if I don't know where my spouse is?
- How long does it take to get a divorce?
- Can my rights be protected between the start of a divorce action and the final hearing?
- How does the court decide who gets custody and physical placement of a child?
- How does the court determine child support payments?
- What is maintenance?
- How does the court decide whether to award maintenance?
- What is a wage assignment?
- How does the court divide property?
- What is a default divorce?
- What if my spouse and I can't reach an agreement?
- Can spouses use the same divorce lawyer?
- Will the court order my spouse to pay for my attorney?
- May a woman use her former name after a divorce?
- What can I do if I'm dissatisfied with the final divorce judgment?
- Can the final divorce judgment be changed in the future?
- Can I move to a new location after the divorce?
- What can I do if my former spouse disobeys a court order regarding custody, physical placement, child support, maintenance, or debt payments?
- If my spouse fails to pay bills as ordered by the court, can the creditor sue both of us?
- What is mediation?
- What are cooperative and collaborative divorce?
- What should I look for in a divorce lawyer?
Last updated: 7/2011