890+ pp.; 5th ed., 2013
(includes 2015 -16 supplement)
2 Volume Set
Appealing to the 7th Circuit? You need this book!
If you were to attempt dashing off an appeal to the Seventh Circuit, your failure to properly observe the rules could result in rejection of your brief — or even a fine. Not to mention the time wasted on rewriting the brief and the loss of confidence your client could experience.
Luckily, you can avoid these results with The Attorney’s Guide to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. It’ll become your road map to delivering a successful appeal.
Know where your appeal is going
You’ll proceed with confidence as the Guide walks you through the process of appealing to the Seventh Circuit. You’ll always know what to do next with the step-by-step guidance of experienced practitioners and court personnel. You’ll also be forewarned of known pitfalls — especially useful in an area of law you haven’t practiced before.
New supplement keeps you up-to-date
The 2015-2016 supplement incorporates the latest court decisions and legal developments, including:
- A U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding appealability of a bankruptcy court’s order
- A Seventh Circuit ruling on when courts may ignore Federal Rule of Appellate Procedure 3(c) violations
- Decisions by the Supreme Court and Seventh Circuit on reducing opinions and verdicts to judgment and concerning state courts’ factual determinations of the intelligence of defendants
- Opinions from the Seventh Circuit on the imposition of sanctions on attorneys
Summary of contents
- Organization of the Court
- Expedited Appeals, Emergency Appeals, and Temporary Relief Pending Appeal
- Preparing and Filing the Appeal
- Record on Appeal
- Direct Criminal Appeals
- Habeas Corpus: Conflicts Between State and Federal Courts
- In Forma Pauperis Appeals; Appointed Counsel
- Judicial Review of Administrative Decisions
- Motion Practice
- Standards of Review
- The Brief
- Scheduling Oral Argument; Submission Without Oral Argument
- Presenting Oral Argument
- Proceedings After the Argument
- Damages, Double Costs, and Fees
- Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure and Circuit Rules of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Operating Procedures
- Plan of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Federal Circuit to Supplement the Plans of the Several United States District Courts Within the Seventh Circuit
Save valuable draft-writing time
Helpful examples of how your brief and related papers should be formatted are just the start with this book. You’ll also save research time with the Guide’s index and topic tabs. And you’ll avoid blind alleys with useful charts and lists summarizing courses of action, along with appendices like the complete Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure and the corresponding Seventh Circuit rules.
Make it your mainstay
You’ll find the Guide to be an excellent companion to the court's own rules of appellate procedure, and an indispensable resource. Once you consult it, you’ll make The Attorney’s Guide to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals your first choice for guidance to getting your cases to their goal efficiently and correctly.
Order your copy today!