500+ pp.; 4th ed., 2017
With the ongoing and far-reaching revision of Wisconsin juvenile law, this comprehensive handbook is an important resource for the juvenile law practitioner. Wisconsin Juvenile Law Handbook covers the provisions of both Wisconsin's Juvenile Justice Code (chapter 938) and the Children's Code (chapter 48).
You will find detailed and practical explanations of the key aspects of delinquency, CHIPS, JIPS, and UCHIPS proceedings, including the rights of the parties, the intake process, the filing of a petition, waiver of a juvenile into adult court, discovery, plea hearings, fact-finding hearings, dispositional hearings, and appeals. You will also find discussions of the termination of parental rights and parental consent for abortions.
Forms, charts, and author commentary supplement the book's thorough treatment of statutory and case law.
With your printed copy of Wisconsin Juvenile Law, you’ll receive a complete set of downloadable forms.
New in the 4th edition
The fourth edition reflects key legal developments since publication of the 2014-15 supplement. Among the most significant inclusions are:
- Passage of Act 373, modifying procedures for changing the placement of a child or juvenile involved in certain types of court proceedings, and creating a new procedure for changing placement after entry of an order for termination of parental rights (TPR)
- New appendix C summarizes the act’s key provisions
- Amendments made by Act 373 have been incorporated throughout the book’s chapters
- The Wisconsin Supreme Court’s approval of a new rule on e-filing, which Wisconsin’s circuit courts have been phasing in since July 1, 2016
- Any forms that previously combined motions with proposed orders have been split so that attorney-signed documents can be prepared as PDF files and proposed orders can be submitted as Microsoft Word documents that judges can edit
Summary of contents
- Table of Contents
- How to Use the Book Forms
- Rights of Children, Parents, and Expectant Mothers
- Roles of the Parties in Juvenile Court
- Jurisdiction and Venue
- Physical Custody
- Intake Inquiry
- Filing of a Petition (CHIPS, UCHIPS, JIPS, and Delinquency Cases)
- Plea Hearing
- Discovery and Other Motion Practice
- Fact-Finding Hearing
- Dispositional Hearing
- Postdispositional Proceedings
- Waiver into Adult Court
- Contempt and Juvenile Sanctions
- Termination of Parental Rights
- Parental Consent for Minor’s Abortion
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act