700+ pp. + CD; 4th ed. 2012
(includes 2016-17 supplement)
Be ready to serve as a guardian ad litem with this guide
Whether you’re looking for guidance on just the basics of being a guardian ad litem, or you need detailed help with the most complex issues, you’ll find it in The Guardian ad Litem Handbook.
This comprehensive guide:
- Explains the challenges of being a GAL for children, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities
- Examines the variety of roles a GAL may be required to perform
- Explores the different situations a GAL may be called upon to deal with
- Includes detailed directions for the GAL in various types of proceedings
Speak with authority
You'll find invaluable contributions of both attorney and non-attorney authors, who share their extensive expertise. You’ll discover essential and practical information not just for handling the legal issues that may arise from being a GAL, but also for understanding the human side of a case. You’ll also be able to follow insightful discussions about the typical characteristics of children, elderly persons, and disabled adults, as well as helpful techniques for GALs to use in interviewing clients.
- The Guardian ad Litem: An Overview
- Children: The Human Side
- Family Court: Chapter 767
- Juvenile Court: Chapter 48
- Adults with Mental Disabilities: The Human Side
- Guardianship: Chapter 54
- Protective Services and Protective Placement: Chapter 55
- State Mental Health Act: Chapter 51
- Probate Court
- Personal Injury
Updates kep you current
The 2016-17 supplement includes updates regarding recent legislative developments, administrative decisions, and court rulings, such as:
- E-filing requirements adopted by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Updated author-drafted forms and references to mandatory court forms
- A new appendix containing information on domestic abuse from the GAL guidebook published by the Governor’s Council on Domestic Abuse and End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin
- Amended provisions of the Children’s Code affecting procedures for changing the placement of a child involved in a children’s court proceeding
- Plans to extend Family Care statewide by 2018
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals opinions involving actions against GALs
Always have the right forms
The book includes a CD with the complete set of forms available in Microsoft® Word or WordPerfect® format.
Be better prepared to represent your clients' best interests
You'll find exactly the information you need when you turn to The Guardian ad Litem Handbook, Wisconsin's most comprehensive guide to being a guardian ad litem.